Due to COVID-19 We are operating on a limited functionality. There can be delay in responding to your queries. Stay healthy, Stay safe, Maintain Social Distancing. Good Luck!
certificate of no marriage

The proof of one’s non-marriage is called the certificate of no marriage or, simply put, CENOMAR/ bachelorhood certificate.   

It’s clear that you have to get it first for proving that you are single. This proof is required when you’re likely to solemnize marriage with a foreign native. The foreign affair ministry seriously considers this status before allowing the applicant to get married. 

In a few countries like the Philippines, every individual (either native or non-native) has to get it from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).  So, this is an official ritual that you need to get through before getting married.  

Procedure to Get This Certificate

Its entire procedure is split into two parts. 

1. Apply with the official authority

The first one is all about getting it from a competent authority. It can be the local court or district magistrate (DM). In his absence, the Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) can also issue it, provided that the request is raised by the applicant.

There is another alternative authority, i.e. the Notary Public. He may also help you in getting this paper. However, acceptability is not guaranteed. If any A-gazette officer has drafted it, the paper turns out to be legally valid.

So, it’s compulsory to fill up an application for no marriage certificate from a legally authorized authority. Otherwise, it won’t be acceptable. This can affect your marriage ceremony. 

You may check over the internet to know which authority is valid in your country. If you don’t find any, visit the court and apply there with the District Magistrate (DM) or SDM. He can issue an affidavit. You should check if it’s signed and attested by them. His document would be acceptable everywhere. 

Role of Single Status Affidavit 

Single Status Affidavit is no different than any other affidavit. It is a sworn statement that needs to be attested later. This document should have every detail of the affiant like name, date of birth, place of birth, parents and country within a statement. Its purpose defines the difference. Since it’s required for marriage in the foreign, you have to get it drafted carefully. It should read this way: 

I, (name of the applicant), s/o or d/o (parents’ name) born on (D.O.B) in (place of birth), am eligible to solemnize marriage with any Indian or other national according to the law. I am single (for unmarried)/ divorced or widowed and have no dependence from the previous marriage (in case of a divorcee/widowed). 

This is just a sample. You must include these details in it: 

  • Photograph
  • Your date of birth
  • Complete address
  • Witness affidavit 

Documents for Verification

For verifying your application, you need a bunch of supporting documents. These should be valid and original. The state and SDM authority examines their authenticity. Then only, these documents are signed and attested. 

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) does not verify it because these docs have already been examined by the state authority. Nor does it accept any direct request for legalization of documents. So, the affiant has to take all of these points into account for undergoing a glitch-free journey of attestation in the next step. 

The details or credentials of the affiant will be verified through a set of documents. These include: 

  • Passport with photocopy
  • Nationality Card 
  • Divorce paper, if the applicant is a divorcee
  • Death Certificate of the former spouse, if he or she is a widow
  • Photograph of the applicant & 2 witnesses
  • Affidavit for the unmarried certificate
  • Original/ Photocopy of driving licence

2. Legalisation of papers

Legalisation refers to attestation. The aforesaid authority verifies the documents and, then, attests to the affidavit or certificate. There are different levels of attestation, which are must. 

Magistrate or Sub-Divisional Magistrate/Notary

At this stage, the notary public notarizes it. If you have requested in the local court,the DM or SDM will attest to it. This is an instant process. You don’t have to wait for long hours or weeks. Just visit there and get it attested upon paying the requested amount as its fee.

State Authority 

This is meant for people from any state in the country. Its home department or official authority checks the supporting documents and their validity. Then, it signs and puts the stamp. This is optional for those who have applied with the court.  

Foreign Ministry or Ministry of External Affairs

 This is the last to the final stage where you get the document apostilled or attested. If you’re going to any of the member countries of the Hague Convention, this should be apostilled. This procedure may take weeks or months. So, you should apply months before, but not more than six months, the marriage. 


It’s the last level of attestation from the embassy. The person can book an appointment with the authority using its official website and then, visit the place for this attestation. 

This is how you can get proof of a non-marriage certificate from anywhere. 

These are different levels of attestation. The applicant should carefully identify which type of documents he or she wants to be attested. Then only, the specific authority can be reached.

However, there is a shortcut. You may contact any solicitor or legal matter experts to discover how you may quickly go through this legalization process. Although there is no shortcut, yet their assistance and guidance can help you to reach the exact competent authority. Also, his guidance enables you to avoid errors and get through this process in a go. It simply means that you don’t have to go through rejections over and over. He can help you to figure out challenges, mistakes and other lags beforehand. Once discovered, you may easily prepare documents accordingly. This is how your application would be accepted in a short time. 

Wrap Up

The proof of a non-marriage is typically known as the certificate of no marriage. It is also called a CENOMAR or bachelorhood certificate. Actually, this is a piece of sworn paper, which is called a single status affidavit in many countries. This needs to be legalized by the district magistrate and local authority together with the ministry of external affairs and embassies.  

Featured Image Reference: https://www.services2nri.com/blog/how-nris-can-get-certificate-of-no-marriage-quickly/

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4 / 5. Vote count: 2

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

One thought on “How Can You Get Proof of Non-Marriage?”

Leave a Reply